We don’t know when we may have a situation where we’ll be sitting with somebody who is dying or when we’ll be facing our own death.
Most spiritual traditions ask us to look at our own death as a practice in understanding ourselves and living an awakened life.
This course offers you the chance to feel radically alive, by learning to embrace your own death and support the dying.
In this course you will:
- Learn the background of the Living/Dying project and why the volunteers we train (and the transformation they experience) are the backbone of our work
- Gain practical tools to activate the heart and become grounded and embodied in the face of suffering, work with pain in the body, and to consciously work with others dealing with their own emotional and physical pain
- Understand the role of guides and best practices for sitting with people as they are dying and how connecting with your own life and death informs your practice
- Understand a framework for how we heal based on the wisdom of eastern philosophies, western psychology, devotional practices and energy medicine, and how this helps us to identify the next step that is transformational for each of us, even during crisis
- Be guided in short, intensive meditations to create a healing experience rather than an experience that is about healing
This training is designed to help you prepare to volunteer with the dying or to prepare for your own death or for sitting with a loved one.
It is through sitting with the dying that we get the invitation to truly live.
Recently Dale was at the bedside of someone who was deeply struggling with their dying due to cancer. As Dale tenderly offered support, she said, “Even though I’ve been trying to be spiritual, I didn’t focus on this part of my life enough that it made much difference. I’m still so afraid of dying.”
This was not the first time he sat next to someone who deeply regretted not exploring their essential nature more deeply. At the end of life, nobody regrets not having watched tv more.
Another time, Dale was at the bedside of a highly trained and disciplined meditator — someone who spent decades thinking and talking about God. And yet, their energetic barriers remained thick and dense that they also deeply struggled as their imminent death was approaching.
From being with so many different dying clients, it’s really clear that spiritual ideas don’t do much good. Such wisdom has to penetrate the core of one’s being. Ultimately it’s about surrender.
How alive are you willing to be?
Each of us is at a particular point on our healing path, confronting our next challenge, often without clearly knowing whether attitudes or practices we have been using to facilitate growth in ourselves or in our clients are becoming stale, without knowing which direction we should turn to create meaningful transformation.
This course is for people who:
- Have a loved one who is currently dying whom they want to support more consciously
- Would like to prepare for being with the dying including those who are hospice volunteers
- Want to be more aware of their own death as a spiritual practice
- Would like to volunteer for The Living/Dying Project
It is through this investigation of death and dying that one awakens to a more conscious life.